I’ll be co-delivering a training workshop as part of the ‘Pathways – Career Options for PhD’s and Research Staff’ event at Manchester University.
The workshop is intended to explore ways of using the web to raise your professional profile and is intended to last about an hour.
1) Intro – Brief round robbin of introductions
2) Group/Pair exercise – “What have you seen or used on the internet to promote yourself on the web”
3) Group discussion re: the above
4) Intro to Bloggin – “Common Craft’s ‘Blogging in Plain English”
5) Brief talk making the link between Academia and Niche news publishing/ consuming.
6) “What’s in it for me?” –
7) “How?” –
- Demo of setting up a blog (probs in Blogger, by also show WordPress).
- RSS in plain English
- Brief demo of a news reader
8) “So where do I find the Academic Community?”
Please see this blog post for a more detailed description
9) Plenary, questions and some further reading
10) Please take some time to go through the links and resources that relate to this session.Please feel free to add your own comments or to ask any questions on this blog.